Ripponden Urban District Council held its first meeting on the 8th April 1937 after being constituted under the County of York, West Riding Review Order 1937. The Order combined the Urban Districts of Barkisland, Rishworth and Soyland and detached a part of Sowerby.
In 1973 following the re-organisation of Local Authorities under the Local Government Act 1972, Ripponden Urban District Council became Ripponden Parish Council, with many of its powers being transferred to Calderdale Metropolitan Borough Council as the Principle Authority. The first meeting of the Parish Council was held on the 2nd August 1973 and its first Chairman was Councillor W. L Bottomley.
On 1st March 2012 the Parish Council celebrated its 1000th meeting with Councillor B. Carter as Chairman.
The Parish Council retains a record of all its past Chairmen on specially crafted boards which can be viewed in its Office at 107 Halifax Road, Ripponden.